Coprinus Comatus – Inky Cap Mushrooms

Genus: Coprinus
Species: C. comatus
Toxicity: The mushroom can sometimes be confused with the magpie fungus which is poisonous. In America, the ‘vomiter’ mushroom Chlorophyllum molybdites is responsible for most cases of mushroom poisoning due to its similarity with shaggy mane and other edible mushrooms.[2]
Edibile: When young it is an excellent edible mushroom provided that it is eaten soon after being collected (it keeps very badly because of the autodigestion of its gills and cap). If long-term storage is desired, microwaving, sauteing or simmering until limp will allow the mushrooms to be stored in a refrigerator for several days or frozen. Also, placing the mushrooms in a glass of ice water will delay the decomposition for a day or two so that one has time to incorporate them into a meal. Processing or icing must be done whether for eating or storage within four to six hours of harvest to prevent undesirable changes to the mushroom. The species is cultivated in China as food.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *